5 Questions with Nick Gerlach of Cosby Sweater
1. Your sound is all over the place ranging from smooth jazz, to high-energy electro, what/who really influences your music production?
We are influenced by anything that is done well. It is important not to have your influences be too narrow or you will get stale creatively.
2. When producing a new track where do you guys generally start?? (i.e. live instruments, drum rhythms, synths, melodies)
It really changes from track to track. Most of the time it starts with a drum beat or part of a beat that Dave started. Sometimes it will start with a keyboard part of something that I have created. There is even one song that we wrote completely by e-mailing back and forth.
3. What do you think about the progression of EDM over the past year, and where do you think Cosby Sweater falls into place in that category?
There are so many styles and genres within EDM. It’s interesting to see them meld together as time goes on. EDM has definitely become more popular in the last year or two. Electronic music even has a grammy category now. I think Cosby Sweater does a good job of not getting locked into one particular genre and providing fans with an interesting and varied show. It is hard to say where we fall into place in EDM because we are kind a cross over. We improvise on stage as a group like a more traditional band would while our sound is definitely more based on EDM.
4. What is Cosby Sweater’s pre-show ritual, how do you guys get prepared to get on stage and rage on?
We don’t typically have a set pre-show ritual. I’ve been trying to get the guys to group hug me before every set but they won’t do it.
5. Where is the best place to buy a legitimate Cosby Sweater?
If you want to be legit you have to get a Coogi.