5 Questions with Spankalicious
Your new album “highest” expectations dropped today, what was your inspiration behind the beats?
• Honestly, the whole concept revolves around making fun of what our choices have become limited to when we talk in terms of politics. I mean, these dudes have raised over $1 billion dollars each to talk shit against each other in order to win the votes of the people that have all of the money. I know that there are few of us that even believe in what is going on in Washington anymore. The Ray John campaign is opening more people’s minds up to the possibility of something different. Way different than anything the “people” have thought of before.
The album seems to have trap theme, how do you feel about the progression of trap music onto the electronic music scene?
- To me I fucking love it simply because I grew up listening to the shit. If you go and listen to any 3-6 mafia of Project Pat beat from 1997… it’s the same shit as the new “trap”. But just like anything, you will have a lot of it that sucks ass, and a lot of it that makes the cut. There are already so many different plays on it. It boils down to time and how it ticks, and how the kids react to the sounds on the dance floor. It is an ever evolving thing, and if you are going to be successful at this “dance” music game you have to keep up. Everyone is a DJ now. It’s a beautiful thing if the crowd is feeling it. Just like everything else though, Trap will have it’s time and place and we will get tired of it here in 2 years and move to the next biggest bass heavy sound.
How has this progression of trap music effected your style of production? Your new album “highest” expectations dropped today, what was your inspiration behind the beats?
- It’s actually fell right into place with where I am with the Ableton program and where my productions skills are. I recognize that I haven’t made the next BANGER SHIT here. But I recognize that every time I sit down to make a new track, my sound and workflow evolve. I’m a drummer so beats are my forte’. I love that gangster Pimp C shit as well so it kind of let’s me honor the MC’s that I respected most growing up.
You’ve just begun your “Do Magical Things Tour”, when on the road for such a long period of time what is your day-to-day motivation?
- My daughter. She is the reason I stay alive. My lady Amanda. She saved my life. My people that have taken up and decided to get behind my movement. The people that I have yet to meet. My motivation is to show people that there IS a better way and that YOU CAN be happy. I believe that America has become such a plastic and fake place that it is my mission to connect the good people, the ones who will survive when the shit hits the fan and money doesn’t matter anymore. We are going to need each other then. Right now it’s a competition for money. Once I took myself out of that race, I was able to see a little clearer and really look at what made me happy in life, because the money was always pissing me off. We can change things, and it’s people like us that are here to spread the message of what our world could be
The new album features a Ray John image with your face, why did you chose this for the album, and how do you feel you represent Ray John ?
- Ray John is exactly what this country needs. I feel like this is the exact representation of what the New World Order should be. Anytime this past summer when I saw a Ray John poster, it was surrounded by smiling people who gave a fuck about each other! There was NEVER ANY NEGATIVITY surrounding Ray John. As where when you look at the “actual” Presidential Campaign, and it seems like a Billionaire Reality show….and it isn’t anything that myself and the people around me can believe in. The race for the top leadership positions in our country have become a drive to see who can fuel the evil with the most money first. Top it off with talking shit on each other in all 50 states and you have what we call……ratings? My parents both worked their asses off and set themselves up for retirement the right way as did most of middle class America. Now a lot of them have gone back to work because our system has failed them. By the time their medical insurance and prescriptions are paid for each month, they barely have enough left over to keep food in the fridge. That’s fucking scary. People are losing their homes every where. The biggest cash crop that we could possibly have is never going to become legal because they make more money by prosecuting bullshit weed crimes. Cigarettes are available at every gas station as well as behind the counter at every Walgreen’s and CVS. Where the fuck is all of that fucking money going?! Oh and the people making the “Stop Smoking” programs, they are the same people making the cigarettes, so either way, they are getting ALL of that money. It’s fucked because they have been pushed into our society to become population control, yet we remain so blind. There are many motivations behind me getting behind Ray John. Mainly because like everyone else, I’m feed up and I don’t have an answer for the problems we are faced with.